Certificate General Information
Upon completion of the courses required for the certificate programs, students will receive a University of Florida certificate from the College of Medicine. Students must maintain a grade of C or better in all courses to be eligible to earn either certificate.
Certificate Minimum Requirements: For All (Domestic and International) Applicants
In order to apply for the University of Florida’s online Graduate Certificate in Medical Physiology or Medical Physiology with a specialization in Cardiovascular/Renal Physiology, students must have:
- A bachelor of arts (BA) or bachelor of science (BS) degree from one of the institutional accreditors (or international equivalent) found in the “Accreditation” section at https://admissions.ufl.edu/apply/graduate/
- A strong science foundation with a minimum of five full semesters of courses related to biology, chemistry and/or physics
- An upper-division GPA of 2.0 (C grade) or better. To calculate what your upper-division GPA is, please use the following form: Upper Division GPA Worksheet.
Additional Certificate Minimum Requirements: For International Applicants Only
The English language skill requirements for admission:
- If your native language is not English, or if you graduated with a bachelor's degree from a non-English speaking country, you will need to take and submit your TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or other Graduate Council approved English language skills test scores.
- Non-English speaking countries are those which are not included in the Graduate School's list of English speaking countries.
- To be admitted to a certificate program, the applicant must score the following on the TOEFL:
TOEFL Exam Type Required Score Paper-based 550 Computer-based 213 Internet 80
Transferring Course Credits
Up to, but no more than, 4 credit hours of coursework taken as a UF non-degree student can be applied toward the Graduate Certificate in Medical Physiology. Up to, but no more than, 6 credit hours of coursework taken as a UF non-degree student can be applied toward the Graduate Certificate in Medical Physiology with a specialization in Cardiovascular/Renal Physiology. Coursework from another university cannot be accepted for credit toward a certificate.
In order for the credits to be applied towards the certificate, the following criteria have to be met:
- The student must be formally admitted to the certificate program.
- The non-degree coursework grades must be a B grade or higher.
- The coursework taken as a non-degree student must pertain to the certificate program the student is admitted to.